Tuesday 17 April 2012

Heaven-sent

I know I said that my next post would either be a Bruna or Gisela deck list, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw today's spoilers. As you probably know by now, Avacyn Restored is all about good triumphing over evil and many cards have an angelic or holy theme. One card that doesn't really have such a flavor but strikes me as a heaven-send is Cavern of Souls (rough translation).


The rough translation for this card is:

Land

As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.

{T}: Add {1} to your mana pool

{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast creatures of the chosen type. If mana is spent this way, that spell can't be countered by spells or abilities.


Needless to say, this card is already an EDH staple. The obvious use is to play it, name a creature type that your commander has and go to town. Gone are the days where people lived in fear of Hinder and Spell Crumple and gone are the days where people played Declaration of Naught and named your commander while you sit powerless to do anything.

Of course, in certain decks this card will be a needle in a haystack, certain colors without land tutoring abilities will have to mostly rely on luck. Though, if getting this land into play means that much to you then there is always Planar Portal and Expedition Map*.

Having said all that, I'd appreciate finding a meta where tuck effects, counterspells and LD weren't so rampant (they are everywhere on Cockatrice). So, ideally, I would never have to use this card in the first place. However, at least I can defend myself in the meantime. Thank you Wizards!

One last thing I'll say, is that if Wizards keeps designing cards like this maybe all the talk of banning islands will cease.

Oh, and tribal decks just got a lot better too!

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget about Expedition Map. Goes in any deck and is super cheap to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, forgot about the ol' map. xD

    ReplyDelete