Monday 21 May 2012

Planechase Commanders!: Part 2

Welcome to part 2 of my planechase spoilers review. I decided to only review the legendary creatures as I'm mainly interested in their use as commanders and not so much the rest of the planechase product. I mean, I do play planechase with my friends on occasion, even with some custom planes we found on the internet and some I made myself. So it should be said that I will probably end up including the new planes and phenomena into our planar stack when they are all spoiled but I'm not terribly excited about it.

Anyway, what appears to be the last of the new legends offered in Planechase 2012 is Thromok the Insatiable.


5 CMC for what is potentially the biggest commander out there, Thromok is (potentially) a force to be reckoned with. I suppose Wizards caught wind that aggro decks don't fare so well in EDH and decided to up the ante a bit. Now, if only he weren't so vanilla.

He makes me think of cards like Berserk, and Fatal Frenzy, where, if combined with them for much needed evasion, you are almost guaranteed a one shot kill (and I'm talking in terms of reducing a player to 0 not just dealing sufficient general damage.). You can also use cards like Fling and Grab the Reins if you're lacking in cards that grant evasion.

Obviously, you need to be running a token strategy for him to really shine and luckily, R/G is a great color combination to do it. (Yadda yadda... Doubling Season... yadda yadda)

Also, Thromok just might be the first commander that is able to deal 21 or more general damage in one shot without help. Well, now that I think about it, Kresh can too, though not as easily/quickly.


That's it for the legends of planechase from what I understand, though if any other legends pop up then I suppose that a part 3 would be in order and you know where to find me! =)

The next set where we might have some goodies is M13 in July, maybe not any commanders but perhaps some useable spells at least.

Thank you for reading, 'till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment